While industry veterans are already aware of the news that marketing your consumer food business is going to change due to the new Safe Food Advertising Regulation 2021. We are here to shed some insight into how you need to change your marketing approach to comply with the regulation.
Currently, The Food Safety Authority is making a draft of the “Safe Food (Advertising) Regulations, 2021” to oversee advertising of food products in the country that can change the ways of how marketing should be done by the food manufacturing and importing companies.
We are going to explain some key changes that you need to know and prepare ahead to keep your food business complaint with the advertising policies.
Some Key Marketing Changes are
- Any doctors or nutritionists can not appear in advertisements of food products to explain their qualities and health benefits for marketing purposes.
- The product cannot be promoted as a healer of diseases to make it more attractive.
- An advertisement of a product that undermines other competitive products is not allowed.
- Advertisement cannot be made based on physical and mental disabilities or physical attributes such as size or color.
- The children should not be used in any scene of condemnation, conflict, quarrel, and risk.
- Many advertisements are now including natural, fresh, authentic, traditional, homemade, genuine. But from now on, these words have to be used carefully.
- The term “natural” can only be used in the advertisement of a food product if it is directly produced naturally and does not contain any kind of mixture and not processed food. (It may require evidence or proof as well).
- Advertisements for imported food products may not contain words or expressions that may indicate that the quality of the product is superior to that of the locally produced products.
- There will be some restrictions on the advertisement of breast milk supplements for children and processed milk. The draft contains rules on how to present the packaging of a food product, including its advertising, promotion, expiration date, ingredients, claims, processing, and nutrition.
Why these changes for Food Advertising?
It was stated by the officials of the Bangladesh Food Safety Authority (BFSA) that the draft is being finalized to bring advertisements into a policy framework to protect consumers from fraud and to enable them to buy products knowing the actual information. The draft will also contain The draft contains rules on how to present the overall packaging of a food product, including its advertising, promotion, expiration date, ingredients, claims, processing, and nutrition.
If you are looking for marketing services for your FMCG or Food Business in a compliant way. Contact us today for a consultation.